gothamCulture Senior Associate James O’Flaherty was a guest on the Veteran’s Administration (VA) C20 Webcast “The Anxiety of Perfection: Confronting Imposter Syndrome.” James is a former US Marine Captain and holds a master’s degree in Behavioral and Decision Sciences from the University of Pennsylvania. He brought his personal military experience and educational background to the conversation which included:
- What imposter syndrome is and how it affects us all
- Common themes regarding imposter syndrome among Veterans transitioning from active duty
- The types of Veterans who tend to experience imposter syndrome
- How imposter syndrome impacts behaviors and outcomes for Veterans coming off active duty
- How Veterans can combat the effects of imposter syndrome when moving into the civilian workforce
James wrote an article on the topic “Imposter at Arms” in 2020.
C20 is a twice-a-week, 20-minute, live VA webcast hosted by Dr. Chad Kessler, National Program Director for VHA Emergency Medicine, and VA subject matter experts from the field who join him to address today’s hottest topics.
View the episode replay here. (His interview starts at 10:05 minutes into the episode)
Culture Change is a Complex Process
Make sense of it with actionable advice from experts on the front lines.